Hypnobirthing is a natural childbirth programme which uses hypnosis, visualisation, relaxation and breathing techniques to create natural anaesthesia. This reduces fear, anxiety and pain from the birthing experience.
- Hypnobirthing allows you discover and experience the joy of birth.
- Learn how to release the fears and anxieties you may currently have about giving birth.
- Hypnobirthing techniques aim to teach you ways to stay in control and calm during labour and
Using hypnosis in labour can result in:
- a shorter first stage labour
- less intense pain
- better scores in your baby’s first checks
- a shorter stay in hospital
- to be happy and have confidence in your abilities as a new mother!
The ideal time to start classes is between 25 weeks and 29 weeks of pregnancy. This will allow you ample time to practise. If you are already past this stage you may still benefit from classes in your last few weeks of pregnancy.
What will you learn at Hypnobirthing sessions?
- Deep relaxation techniques and self-hypnosis. These methods can help you to stay alert, but at the same time shut out the world and focus on your body.
- Hypnobirthing techniques can help you cope with labour and to control or reduce pain without drugs.
- Visualisation exercises and breathing techniques to keep you grounded, serene and positive.
- Increased knowledge and awareness of the process that your body is going through
- Understanding the biology of birth will put you in control of your birthing experience…..
During labour stress hormones (adrenaline) will flood your body, Adrenaline reduces the blood flow to your uterus (womb) and digestive system. Instead, your blood flows more readily to the large muscles in your limbs so that you’re ready to fight or run away.
As a result, the muscles of your uterus will work less well, because they are deprived of blood and oxygen. This can make labour harder and longer. Your baby will be getting less oxygen too. The hormone that eases labour, oxytocin is less likely to be released. Stress hormones stop your body producing oxytocin. At the same time fewer of the natural hormones (endorphins) which help mother and baby to relax are produced.
Controlling your feelings through self-hypnosis can help you to prevent these stress responses from being triggered.
Hypnobirthing techniques will help you to:
- Keep higher levels of oxygen in your body because of the breathing techniques
- Reduce your need for pain-relieving drugs.
- Increase your chance of having a straight forward vaginal birth.
- Stay focused and in tune with your body and baby.
- Sleep better and feel healthier.
- Heal quickly and recover faster
- Reduce weight after the birth easily.
- Improve confidence as a mother
Birth partners can sometimes feel outside the experience of labour and birth. They may be there in the room with you, but find it hard to understand what you’re going through.
In hypnobirthing classes, your birth partner will learn alongside you. You will both learn breathing, relaxation and visualisation techniques. Your teacher will give your birth partner scripts to read to you at home so you can carry on practising. The idea is you become so used to the techniques, it’s easy for you to bring them to mind when you need them.
Once labour starts, keeping focused can help you and your partner stay as close as you can to your birthing plan. As a result of this, giving birth is an exciting and joyful experience.
For mother and birth partner –private sessions with Hypnobirthing Practitioner
4 sessions of 60 minutes are recommended. Includes a comprehensive material, hypnosis birthing support cd’s. Fee: £ 240.
Early booking discount is available
1 Day Workshop (for small groups of expectant mothers, fathers, birth partners Includes comprehensive workshop material and hypnosis support cd’s.
Fee: £ 175 per couple.